Sunday, December 27, 2009

Week G

We had a busy week again and didn't focus as well as we could have on our letter, but we still fit it in here and there. The most exciting part is a special Guest we've been enjoying having around for the last week. I should probably say Girl as she won't be a Guest around here in a few months.

She's not staying at our house but we've gotten to see her plenty and it's been such fun!

An side on the word Girl, Phi is trying to understand gender differences and will ask periodically of me, "Are you a girl?" "Are you a Wooman?" "Is Daddy a man?" "Am I a Boy?" "Am I getting bigger,bigger, bigger?" That's his version of growing up. Sometimes he'll throw in, " Are you a Lady?" To which I answer, "rarely". JK

We had a hard time with food again for G. Grapes would be an obvious one but this is not a good time of year to find Good Grapes. So we scrounged around and came up with Guacamole.

And we dipped pretzels in Ganoche, this one was just an excuse to eat chocolate. The word cracks me up as I just recently became aware of it but we've been making it for years... I just never knew you were supposed to call it anything but chocolate sauce.

Our cutting exercises,

and tracing. Curving lines, just in time for G.


Grins,


Goofballs and Giggles


And then I dug out my Guitar that I never learned to play well and let them play around with it.

Phi loved that one of course.

And our Garbage truck that we put a G sticker on that lasted a brief amount of time.

Also had a Golf ball with a G written on it. Phi calls it a "loudy ball" as it makes quite the noise if you drop it and let it bounce down the hall on wood floor. Much to their delight.

Our verse: GOD is love. 1 John 4:16
When I'd ask Phi what his verse for this week was the first thing off his tongue was, "God loves". We had to work to get the 'is' in there, but he wasn't wrong anyway.

While we were at Chatty's house we read her fun little book about a baby Goat who is a little boys friend, with lots of fun pictures. It came at the perfect time as, after hearing of some Goats that he (Phi) had never seen, but that reside at Grandpa and Grandma's neighbor's that made strange noises for bleats he declared he didn't like Goats. After reading Chatty's story he at least understood what one was and that they weren't all strange animals. Though he still tells me every so often, "I don't like Goats I just like sheeps."

We spent the week reading through the story of Gideon in Judges 6 and Phi again found it quite interesting . The fact that seemed to most stick in his mind was that Gideon was scared. But, we always added, he still trusted the Lord and that's what mattered.
We sang the "Brave Gideon" song from the sunday school book, over, and over, and over...

We learned about Giraffes, Gorillas and Grasshoppers for animals and bugs. And saw our Gold Finches in the feeder most days. It's been a Great week and we can't wait to Greet the next one!! :)

6 comments:

Susan said...

You should write a book for moms of preschoolers with every week featuring a different theme of the alphabet! Using your ideas and expanding on them...it would be a lot of fun! It's a alphabet unit study! It looks like you have categories down pat: food, scripture, animals, activities, books/stories, objects around the house, songs... Too bad my kids are well on the road to reading, we would definitely use your ideas! LOL!

ioi said...

I guess your little people might not be big enough for Granola, but mine especially love Gravy. :) Gideon was scared though he needn't be and Goliath wasn't when he should have been.

I'm glad you've been doing this letter a week thing. I had planned to do it with my little ones starting back in September when 'school' started for everyone else, but it was just one more thing and I already had too much going on just before Butler came arrived.

Debbie said...

Fun pics! Phi is looking so grown up these days. Too bad your H week came just a wee bit soon for Phi's Happy birthday.
We can't wait to come visit this weekend. Kate can Help out with all the "Happy" songs, cause those are her favorite. I also just finished sewing a new Hat for Kate that he would probably love to wear! :)
And if you get him a Hula Hoop Kate just might be able to teach him how to use it from some of the moves I've seen her do while 'exercising'. She could also teach him the Hokie-pokie. :D
Have fun learning about hippos, horses, hogs, happiness, helping, holding hands, hopping, hollering (okay you could skip that I guess) and a great one for you Housekeeping. :)You can just tell him you need Help Housekeeping and make him do all kinds of chores. :D Enjoy eating Hash browns, Hot chocolate, Halibut, Ham, Hamburgers,Hummus,Hazelnuts,Hot fudge,Honey,Havarti cheese and Healthy food. He might even like to try Horseradish or Hotpeppers.Haha :D Too bad its long past Huckleberry season.
Okay, enough of this.
Happy day to you. :]

Gwynne said...

If I had been home last week, I could have been your G person :)

Aunt Rufe said...

...but Gwynne, it sure was fun being their G person. ;)
However, I guess we could have shared the task...

Sjo said...

Thanks for all the comments.

IOI- We did Granola Bars a week late. Got any suggestions for I?? ;D You would have a lot of fun doing The ABC's with your little ones.

Gwynne- I told Phi about your comment and he just grinned. He knows who you are and you make a great G person.

Rufe-We sure enjoyed having you too. In fact Phi was just asking today if he could marry you. ;D I told him sorry U. AJ beat him to it.